Paris, 1 July 2014. Today, CERN1 and UNESCO2 are commemorating the signature of the CERN Convention at UNESCO’s Headquarters in Paris and thereby celebrating 60 years of science for peace. The Convention that led to the establishment of the European Organization for Nuclear Research in 1954 was signed on 1 July 1953 in Paris, under the auspices of UNESCO, by twelve founding Member States. The Convention entered into force on 29 September 1954, the official date of the Laboratory’s foundation.
01 Jul 2014